Thursday, February 19, 2009

Back in the day...




Remembering back in the day when I was a fifteen year old and could never find the words, or be allowed the 'space' to talk to my mum about what I was doing......or if I did try, to be shot down in flames because I knew nothing and was just a kid....etc etc

Remembering how out of control I became in my 'secret' life and that someone really should have stopped me....

Looking at my 15 year old who is me, but tamer she will be disgusted to know, many years later and wondering how the hell I can get her to share a bit of her life and thoughts with me so I can be a steady hand for her without shooting her down in flames or stomping on her developing self...

The answer???

Email.

Yep.

We email each other.....

Gives me time to ponder before shooting off my mouth

Gives her 'space' to hear me without having to squirm in discomfort at old ladies talking about personal stuff...

And time to reply with out having to do the 'teenage angst' thing.

Much..

Cuts out the yelling factor...

Well, I know its not perfect but communication is happening and some honesty is required.

Oh to put an older head on a young shoulder.....

For her to see how beautiful she is.....

And to know how much I love her.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes..life is such a game..of risk and chance.Some people sit on the side lines all their lives and never take part, while others play the game again and agin, fearlessly risking and taking chances either winnin or losing but trying agin and again..your daughter's purpose, our prupose is to try and find our true selves, listen to our souls and hear what it is trying to tell us whta we really should be....it can be exciting and painful and funny and sad and everything else...w.w.

Cyndy said...

Great idea, 'Chell. It is really hard to know what is gong on in their heads. Often it's as if they close the doors & the shutters: you can just see it in their face. Using the communication medium that our kids are now the most comfortable with is a positive action. The "anonymity" & non-confrontational aspect of email/msn obviously makes kids feel more comfortable. Whatever works, I reckon. Kudos to you for your thinking out of the box.

And she is lovely, isn't she?

Natalie said...

Excellent, profoundly good to hear.xxoo

Unknown said...

if it works, do it.......

Hippy Witch said...

What a great way to communicate. Take away instant reaction and you can have some real communication happening.

Renee said...

Well your daughter is absolutely gorgeous just like you. What a beauty.

I think that is a great idea. Totally terrific, because like you said you have time to respond without going on automatic pilot and also I think your daughter doesn't have to see your face. You know that look we just can't hold back when they tell us something. Also it lets each say what they want with out being interrupted.

Love the idea.

Renee

nollyposh said...

Fabulous! Now just let me give you a big 'ol cyber (((hug))) x

L. said...

Wonderful! My daughter is 14...it is so hard to be a mother and so wonderful. Communication with anyone is the key. I love this idea. Your daughter is so beautiful.

Debbie said...

Email is a wonderful solution! I may need to steal that idea.

Michelle said...

:0) Thanks and feel free to steal away.

Art by Darla Kay said...

You have such a way with words! I love reading your blog!