Monday, February 09, 2009

Monday's Musings

I ended up at the GP After hours clinic with Shelli yesterday....the attending GP turned out to be my old doctor from many years ago, the one who saw me at my worst and sent me to hospital whereapon my recovery began.

He says he thinks the child has Glandular Fever! Which is related to depression!

I will be doing research on that....

and taking her for blood tests tomorrow to my current GP to investigate further.

Poor sick kid is miserable and very sore and the penicillin is unlikely to do anything.

Grrrrr

On a different tangent, this doctor has a daughter, who I ended up going to Art School with. She was only 19 at the time and a bit of a wild child. At one stage she was going off the rails and me, being me, sat her down and pointed out the similarities in our selves and where she may end up should she not take stock of her little (6' tall) self.....last I heard of it. I had totally forgotten this until, upon leaving my appointment with her father yesterday, he shook my hand and thanked me for helping his daughter out those few years ago, I had made a difference!

I had to wrack my poor brain to remember....

Goes to show that you do indeed effect other peoples lives in ways you aren't aware of...the ripple effect and all that.

It was nice to know and made me feel pretty good. A nice suprise indeed.

The moral of the story? Random acts of caring may come back and bite you on the bum one day in a nice way, and if not, no matter, you may just make a difference without even knowing it.

Meanwhile, life goes on

Relentlessly

xxxx

14 comments:

Natalie said...

Poor kid, never rains but it pours.

Good story love, good on you. xx

Unknown said...

you made a huge difference in my life- you still do.

poor baby shelli- glandualr fever is not cool x

Myst_72 said...

Oh gosh I really hope she hasn't got glandular fever.

Hell.

We are still battling it 3 years later.

Let me know what the tests say.

G
xx

Myst_72 said...

If she does have glandular fever please make her go to bed - for a few weeks.
No pushing herself whatsoever.

G
xxx

Myst_72 said...

p.s. Gee I so love those paintings - the first two especially...they get me every time I am here :)


G
xx

Chrisy said...

...got quite teary reading ur post...yes you did make a difference...and will keep making a difference...re the glandular fever...my daughter had it and it was horrible and took a lot of recovering from...in my experience from working with high school kids it's not so much depression but exhaustion that allows the immune system to get depleted and then they pick this up...a lot of young people have so much going on...

Michelle said...

Thanks Chrissy..he was saying if she had had it already it may have been what triggered her depression itself. Interesting. Its been a hell of a ride with her this last 6 months.

G...she has been in bed since last Tuesday just about. She's just so fatigued and then waking in pain and feverish at 3am....I will watch her like a hawk!
xx

Myst_72 said...

Michelle - I have left you a 500 page reply to your questions in my comments :)

G
xx

Dave King said...

I have never heard of glandular fever being related to depression - I've heard of the reverse. I'd be really interested to hear how your research goes. Meanwhile, recovery is what matters. Hope it is not too protracted. Blessings to you both.

Michelle said...

Thank you Dave...my father said the same thing.

Debbie said...

I've never even heard of glandular fever. I hope you get the answers you need and everything works out for the best.

Michelle said...

Hi Debbie...otherwise \known as Eptsein Barr Virus, the 'kissing disease' or 'mono'....

Barry said...

It is surprising the lives we touch but almost a miracle you got some feedback.

It was great the doctor remembered and thanked you.

I wish Shelli all the best, poor kid.

Michelle said...

Thanks Barry :0)