Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The other end of the day....

Well, the appointment wasn't too bad.

She has another primary cancer in her lung, but that was there before, its just got a little bit bigger and some fluid around her heart. There are some little ones in her lungs too.

She has a tumour growing on her left adrenal gland also.

And multiple lymph nodes are pretty big.

But her tumour levels haven't gone up again and they are doing some more tests to see why she has such weak legs as there is no tumour they can see on or near her spine.

They want to do an MRI and an echo.

They need to check out the fluid around her heart too and maybe drain it off.

Her liver is still clear so that's good.

There is no fluid in her stomach either which is also good. But its a mystery why her belly is so big if there is no fluid or large tumour.

It wasn't as bad as we were expecting anyway, but still worse than before.

That's to be expected I guess.

We will know a bit more when the other tests are done.

They may want to do some treatment soon, depending on whats causing her pain.

They are unsure of which cancer is causing the problems so this needs to be determined before they can decide on treatment or not.

But that's all we know for now.

Here's the funny thing....I'm on the phone to Tahni CSV the other night and she has been talking to her friend whose dad is a doctor and Tahni ended up talking to him about mum....long story short he tells her some things for me to ask about so I do and I mention his name.....

That got em sitting up straight!

Apparently he is one of the head honchos in oncology at the hospital and now they are jumping!

I swear the whole demeaner (?) of the doctor changed.

So, test will be done pronto and the next appointment is only 2 weeks away.

Hmmmmm...this may not be very articulate.

I am exhausted.

15 comments:

Chrisy said...

Yes it is so tiring all the medical stuff...the waiting...the thinking about it...hope you can get some rest n relaxation...amazing what a little name dropping can do eh!

Jewell said...

That's great news re the other Dr, good on your lovely daughter for talking about it!!!

Love to you all xx

Jen said...

Well done Tahni, definately worth dropping that name by the looks of it.

Hopefully they will work out the best course of action and soon.

Love and hugs to you all.

xoxo

Unknown said...

yes, throw around the doctors name- certainly- poor sandra- poor maryme xx

Self-Proclaimed Mistress of Nothing said...

Reading this, I can only imagine how stressful this must be for both of you. I never know the "right" words to say to people dealing with serious medical issues or those who care for them. I think it's because I've dealt with such things in my own life and I know there really is nothing one can say.

Sending angels to watch over you both.♥

Cyndy said...

Quite articulate, my dear Arty Farty.

Maybe you will have something to work with, eh? Even if it means calling on the head honcho.
patient care is his job, too, so it's ok.

Sleep well. ;0)

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

I'm so sorry to read about your mother, Michelle. I hope the treatment they give her will get rid of her cancer! My prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to all of you. Cancer is so horrible (believe me, I know!). It effects not just the patient, but everyone around them as well. I am so happy to hear that you have a connection to the head oncologist. She will be looked after, for sure!
When I was going through my process of being tested, treatment mapped out, etc. I did a lot of research. Australia is actually leading in some of the approaches to treatment.
I pray for your Mom, and also for you and your family.
Big hugs.
audrey
xoxoxo

Art by Darla Kay said...

I'm glad they're moving now but a person shouldn't have to bring up someone's name to get them to pay attention. I know they (doctors)see this sort of thing everyday but can't they, for a moment, realize patients are new to all this and scared and want to feel important?
You're handling all this so well♥

Debbie said...

I am so glad things are now moving along and I will hope for the best for you all!

Renee said...

This disease. This fucking disease. It is the nature of the beast and we that have stage 4 know that the end is inevitable.

But this is more time for you all to be together and for that I am thankful.

xoxoxo

Take care sweetheart.

Michelle said...

Thank you everyone.

nollyposh said...

Sometimes i hate the way the medical wheel works... Love to you both xox

Natalie said...

How rude. At least something changed in the end.xx

Noelle Dunn.... A Poet in Progress said...

Just know a stranger far away cares. Hugs to you.